Interest charge

Codi Bigsby’s father was charged with assault in 2018

13News Now has learned what led to a criminal complaint being filed against Cory Bigsby in June 2018 and how it played out in court.

HAMPTON, Va. — Now that Hampton police are listing Cory Bigsby, 43, as their primary person of interest in the case of his missing son Codi, 13News Now is learning more about Bigsby’s background.

According to court documents obtained by 13News Now, Bigsby faced assault and battery in 2018.

RELATED: Search for missing 4-year-old Codi Bigsby continues in hazy conditions

Documents show Hampton police responded to where Bigsby lived on June 23 that year in reference to a domestic assault.

The officer met a woman who said she shared two children with Bigsby and was pregnant with a third. The criminal complaint went on to say, “Mr. Cory Bigsby Came Home…Woke Up [the woman] shouting.

According to the documents, the woman told officers that Bigsby accused her of cheating, threatened to kill her and continued to scream.

That’s when she said she grabbed a knife and then the two started struggling.

The woman’s account states that Bigsby grabbed her arm and bit her hand, then she dropped the knife.

After which she told police that Bigsby “pushed her onto the bed and choked her”.

While resisting, the woman said she rolled over on her stomach and received several punches on the head.

She told officers Bigsby’s abuse was verbal but turned physical that day.

Court documents also said a total of three children were living with the woman and Bigsby at the time, including Codi.

RELATED: Neighbors and strangers join forces to find Codi Bigsby

The case was “undecided” on December 18, 2018, meaning the prosecutor or woman ultimately chose not to pursue the charge, but may decide to bring it back in the future.

The court could not give 13News Now a specific reason why the case was not “prosecuted”.

Since Wednesday, Bigsby has voluntarily remained at Hampton Police Headquarters and answered questions. Police told a news conference that Bigsby had been there since Monday.

Bigsby reported her son missing on January 31. Bigsby contacted police around 9 a.m. and told them the last time he saw Codi was around 2 a.m. at their home on Ranalet Drive in Buckroe Pointe Apartment Townhomes.

On Tuesday, the police division said it does not believe Codi strayed from his home, or that he was abducted. They also said the information Bigsby and Codi’s mother gave them did not match the evidence.

Police said Wednesday they are not ruling out Codi’s mother as a possible person of interest.

In addition to asking people to contact them if they see Codi, police are asking anyone familiar with Cory Bigsby’s recent whereabouts, including where he regularly shops and hangs out, to contact them.

If you know of anything that may assist in the investigation, please call Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.