Non-Apple users have a reason to celebrate: the days when you needed an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to take part in a FaceTime video call are almost over. In a move that is commonly considered Apple’s answer to, the software giant has allowed people with Android phones and Windows laptops to make FaceTime calls – no iPhone required.
That doesn’t mean Apple devices are excluded from the process. In fact, FaceTime is banking on the newOperating system — – to look and work more like zoom . In addition to being able to video chat with people outside the Apple bubble, a new , , the ability to schedule calls, as well .
Here’s how to participate in FaceTime calls with iOS 15 no matter what device you’re using.
How to start a FaceTime call with Android or Windows users
The key here isn’t that the FaceTime app is coming for Android and Windows. You can access a FaceTime call from a link as long as the person who is scheduling or starting the call has an Apple device and an Apple account. If you are an Apple user and, here’s how to start a FaceTime call with those on Android or Windows devices.
1. Open the FaceTime app on your phone.
2. Tap Create link.
3. A screen will slide up from the bottom that says: FaceTime link. You can click Add name to enter a name for your chat.
4th On the same screen, you will see options to share the link via SMS, email, Twitter, Calendar or any other app that you have on your phone. Or you can copy and paste the link yourself.
5. To join the call yourself, tap the name of the chat you just created and tap associate.
6th When the Android or Windows user clicks the link, they will be directed to a waiting room where you can allow them to join the call by tapping a check mark next to their name.
How to join a FaceTime call using Android or Windows
To join a FaceTime call on an Android or Windows device, all you need is the link that the person with an Apple device sends you. You don’t need to download a separate app. How to join a FaceTime call from a shared link.
1. Open the FaceTime link from anywhere it was shared with you.
2. The link will open in your browser (you’ll need the latest version of Chrome or Edge). Enter your name and tap Keep going.
3. The screen will say “Waiting to Admit” until the person who invited you approves your participation in the call.
That’s it! Have fun video chatting.
Apple is quoted atJune that FaceTime calls are always end-to-end encrypted even on the web.
For more, check out theseand .