Remember that “Follow the money” slogan from the movie All the President’s Men? This means that if you follow the money trail, you will find the source of corruption, whether in politics, business, abortion, or all three.
Since political campaigns are very expensive, the enormous coffers of the abortion lobby are very attractive. Unfortunately, most politicians will sell their souls to appease their donors. Accordingly, the old adage applies: “He who pays the piper sets the tone”.
The puppeteers deliberately surrounded politicians with pro-abortion staffers and influential people to insulate them against pro-life persuasion. They will keep financial pressure high so that ambition (and cowardice) stifle righteous beliefs.
The abortion lobby has huge sums of money because abortion is big business. In 2018-2019, abortions accounted for 96.4% of Planned Parenthood’s “pregnancy resolution” services, leaving only 3.6% for other pregnancy services.
In its 2019-2020 annual report, Planned Parenthood (PP) reported $1.6 billion in revenue and over $2.0 billion in net assets. Its excess of total revenues over total expenses was $69.7 million; $110.5 million in pre-COVID 2018-19.
Expect! Isn’t PP a non-profit? The designation as a non-profit association is only a tax status. This means that all profits are returned to the company rather than distributed to shareholders. Most nonprofits get away with it, but it’s legal to make huge profits like PP does.
The irony is that people see “nonprofit” and think of the cash-strapped genre. Thus, billionaires donate hundreds of millions of dollars to the PP, and taxpayers pay over $618.1 million, or nearly $1.7 million a day, which is 38% of the PP’s overall revenue.
The money is not all used to provide services to women. This is the excuse for being a non-profit organization. Instead, huge sums go to well-paid propagandists and political campaigns. Not what your average citizen donor wanted, I guess.
business and women
Since Roe’s overthrow, big business has come into play more publicly. In addition to their donations to PP, some companies are now offering to pay the expenses of employees who have to travel out of state for abortions.
Why would they do that? On the surface, they claim to support women and their “right” to abortion. Follow the money, though. It is cheaper for companies to pay some travel expenses than to offer paid maternity leave and family benefits.
In 2019, more than 200 companies signed a statement advocating “reproductive health care” and saying abortion restrictions are bad for the economy and “bad for business.” https://wng.org/opinions/corporations-claim-protecting-the-unborn-is-bad-for-business-1651235869#.Ym2hFZRNtwg.link
This alliance is a coordinated effort led by Planned Parenthood, the American Civil Liberties Union, and the Center for Reproductive Rights, among others. Pro-life shareholders are not counted but must vote on these policies.
Keep in mind that 95% of CEOs are men. As discussed in a previous blog, men have a selfish interest in maintaining access to abortion, and they probably don’t mind using their corporate power to protect their personal and financial agenda. https://www.patheos.com/blogs/musingsfromthepew/2022/04/men-and-abortion-cause-and-cure/
Since the Roe reversal, abortion centers in states that now ban abortion are closing at a rapid rate. What about women’s health? If you haven’t figured it out yet, let me give you a hint: it was a joke. A sick and exploitative joke.
My friends from Democrats for Life (www.democratsforlife.org) challenge PP to shift gears and provide the kind of support services for women that pregnancy resource centers offer, if they really care about women. (Hint: it won’t happen)
It was never about women’s health or welfare. Abortors (74% male) and abortion provider chains like PP won’t stay if there’s no money in it, and the money comes from abortions.
I hope the American public will notice this abandonment and understand it, especially in light of increased pro-life efforts to help pregnant women. At the forefront of this assistance is the Catholic Church, which is also a leader in awareness raising and information.
Despite being “blamed” for pro-life advocacy, accused of hating and controlling women, and targeted for pro-abortion vandalism, Catholics lead a campaign of love and support for women.
There are Catholics who are “pro-choice” or on the fence, but they should at least be willing to participate in providing services to women and children in need. Perhaps once they see the true purpose of the Church’s actions, they will reconsider their point of view.
Catholics don’t buy politicians and we don’t profit from our services, but we can use God’s power and our own example to influence others. Follow our money and you should only find charity and good works.