Interest charge

Jermall Charlo’s felony assault charge dropped




Although he was absent from the ring for some time, the WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo got a win out of that.

This, as TMZ Sports reported Monday night that they learned that Charlo’s fall 2021 felony assault charge in Fort Bend, Texas has been dropped,

According to the TMZ report,

“According to court documents, Charlo was charged with assaulting a family member during an incident on September 5, 2021 in Fort Bend County, Texas. He was eventually arrested for all of this in February and charged with felony assault.

But a spokesperson for the Fort Bend County District Attorney’s Office told us they filed a motion to dismiss the case Monday “on the basis that we cannot prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. “.

“The evidence developed in a way that did not support the prosecution to conclusion,” the spokesperson said.

Charlo’s attorney said in a statement Monday that the 32-year-old was “very pleased” with the decision.

“Nine witnesses have come forward to say that Charlo never hit his 21-year-old nephew,” Charlo’s attorney Kent Schaffer said. “Jermall is very happy. He can focus on preparing for his next fight now that that distraction has been removed.

As we wrote about earlier this year, Charlo was arrested following an alleged incident on September 21, 2021 in which he is accused of “hitting or grabbing” a man, who was actually a relative. .

Charlo’s arrest came after a previous robbery charge in connection with an incident at a sports restaurant in San Antonio, Texas in June 2021.

Charlo had a fight at the restaurant the night before his twin brother Jermell got into a fight Brian Castano for the undisputed Jr. middleweight title in San Antonio. This dispute was about whether or not his credit card was declined and whether he grabbed the waitress during an altercation to take back his card or not?

Eventually, Jermall Charlo was cleared of those charges in early February 2022, after the Bexar County (San Antonio) district attorney’s office declined to prosecute. This, after witness statements and a videotape confirmed Charlo’s claim that it was a mix-up/dispute over his credit card that did not rise to the level of criminal violence or of robbery.

We are still waiting for Charlo to return to the ring to defend his WBC 160-pound crown. His June fight against veteran journeyman Maciej Sulecki in Houston was postponed for what was described as a minor back injury during the champion’s practice. However, there were persistent rumors behind the scenes that there were dismal ticket sales/little interest in Sulecki’s fight. And, it’s very telling that no rescheduling announcement of this proposed fight has come, now three months later.

The belief is that Charlo could return later this year on a Showtime PPV in November or December, where they and PBC look at possible dates and fights.