INDIANAPOLIS – It’s a bit like finding a few dollars in change hidden between the cushions of your couch.
You might have unclaimed money just sitting there while the state waits for you to find it.
Attorney General Todd Rokita said his office returned more than $48 million in unclaimed property to Hoosiers last year.
So far in 2022, the Hoosiers have recouped more than $19.5 million, but Rokita said more than $746 million remains up for grabs.
Curious to know if you have money there? You can visit IndianaUnclaimed.gov or text CLAIM to 46220 to search for your name, family or business.
Rokita made the following recommendations to help Hoosiers track their assets:
- Keep a record of all bank accounts
- Indicate your interest and knowledge of all accounts by contacting the holder at least once every three years
- Register all share certificates and make sure to collect all dividends received
- Register all utility deposits, including telephone, cable and electric deposits
- Cash all checks quickly, no matter how small
- Update your address with all businesses when you move
- Tell your loved ones about the safes you own
Suggest a fix